Mitchell’s Two Goals Snaps Bears’ Losing Woes

On November 17, 2012, in Game Recap, by Matt Trust

HERSHEY, PA – Garrett Mitchell scores his second goal of the game (Tim Stough – Sweetest Hockey on Earth)

A night after being ruffed up in Syracuse, New York, the Hershey Bears returned home looking to snap a three-game win-less streak against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Ryan Potulny, returning from injury played his first game at Giant Center since the home opener on October 20. Potulny failed to tally a point in front of his home town crowd, but the Bears beat the Penguins for the third consecutive game, 4-1.

At the 12:19 mark Garrett Mitchell was tripped on a shorthanded breakaway and was rewarded a penalty shot by referee Geoff Miller. Mitchell all alone fired a wrist shot that beat Brad Thiessen to the top shelf, giving the Bears a 1-0 lead. Similar to the first six weeks of the season, the Bears were able to generate offensive zone pressure while even-strength, but continued to struggle getting shots on net.

After 20 minutes Hershey led 1-0, but only generated five shots on net.

Hungry for the equalizer,  at the 8:10 mark of the second frame former Norfolk Admiral Trevor Smith tallied on Braden Holtby. Smith received a crisp, cross-ice feed from Beau Bennett, which was slam dunked into the net moments later.

But with 4:31 left in the middle period, Garrett Mitchell scored his second goal of the night, giving the Bears a 2-1 lead. He backhanded a shot that sneaked underneath the cross-bar, and reviewed as a goal.

The Bears combined momentum following Mitchell’s goal, plus a late power play to find a third goal with four-tenths of a second remaining in the second period. With Thiessen down, Tomas Kundratek picked up a loose puck and fired it into the net with under a second left on the clock to give the Bears a 3-1 lead after 40 minutes.

Hershey showed threat to tally a fourth goal in the final period, but were denied by Brad Thiessen the rest of the way. Boyd Kane hit the empty net with 30 seconds left to seal a 4-1 win for Hershey over Wilkes-Barre.

Post game video


More photos from tonight’s game

Jon DiSalvatore plays the puck behind the net

Jeff Taffe drops the mitts with Bobby Farnham

Tomas Kundratek celebrates his goal

Olesky claps after his fight