Braden Holtby Shuts Out Albany in 3-0 Win for Hershey

On October 27, 2012, in Game Recap, by Matt Trust

HERSHEY, PA – Zach Hamil (center) celebrates his goal with teammates Stan Galiev (left) and Ryan Stoa during Hershey’s 3-0 win over Albany (Kyle Mace – Sweetest Hockey on Earth)

After dropping three straight games including their first two games at Giant Center, the Hershey Bears looked for redemption against the Albany Devils. With Braden Holtby back in between the pipes for the first time since game one, he earns his first shut out of the season in a 3-0 Hershey victory.

Into the opening frame, it took 17:10 for either team to hit pay-dirt. Unlike the last two games, Hershey’s Zach Hamil scored first to give the Bears’ their first lead dating back to the home opener. Hamil received a crisp pass from Ryan Stoa, as he walked in on Kinkaid and scored his first goal of the season with a backhanded shot. Shots after 20 minutes were deadlocked at seven a side.

During the middle frame, for the second straight home game instant replay was put to effective use. However this time it worked in Hershey’s favor, as Jeff Taffe unleashed a one-timer from the face off dot to the left on Keith Kinkaid, beating him top-shelf. After being waved off and reviewed, referee Darcy Burchell gave the point to center ice indicating it was a good goal, and the Bears led  2-0.

Despite a final minute with countless number of defensive turnovers, the Bears escaped into the locker with a 2-0 lead after 40 minutes. Braden Holtby stopped all 23 shots he faced through two periods, making a solid bid for his first shutout of the season. “After a long layoff you get too out of yourself and too aggressive,” Holtby said after the game. “[You] just tell yourself to hold back all game and [it] worked out.”

Throughout the third and final period, the Bears played a defense first style against Albany to secure the win. With a 200-foot goal by Tomas Kundratek with the Devils’ net vacated, Hershey jumped to a commanding 3-0 lead with little time remaining.

And it would stay that way, as Hershey grabs their first win at home by the score of 3-0.

After the game, the Bears announced Philipp Grubauer has be re-recalled back to Hershey after tonight’s game.

More photos from tonight’s game:

Zack Hamil scores the first goal of the game

Darcy Burchell signals a goal for Hershey’s second goal of the game

Tomas Kundratek’s 180+ foot goal