The Bears had a fantastic start to this weekend but the final game against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers still loomed over them.
The Bears enjoyed their own Teddy Bear Toss last night and tonight it was Bridgeport’s turn. The stuffed animals were unleashed late in the first period when Trevor Frischmon’s wristshot got past Braden Holtby.
The Bears tied it up during the second period. The Bears were cycling in the zone and Tomas Kundratek threw a big shot at the net. Keith Aucoin was there to bury the rebound. Aucoin kept it going when he scored an unassisted short-handed goal moments later. Jacob Micflikier extended the lead after the Bears started flying and got Kevin Poulin moving.
With a comfortable lead going into the third period, the Bears needed to focus on defending the lead. And that’s just what they did, including killing off a 5-on-3 penalty. Unfortunately, a Sound Tiger goal did sneak through in the waning minutes of the third period.
But the Bears held on. There was some last minute dramatics when Bridgeport stuffed the puck in after the puck had been blown dead. They lost momentum and the Bears won, 3-2! A great weekend from start to finish!
- Graham Mink was the veteran scratch for this game. He got the day off after a nice weekend for him.
- Does anyone not enjoy watching Joel Rechlicz fight? He dropped the gloves with Brett Gallant today. Both guys lasted a very long time and got in big punches.
- Andrew Carroll also dropped the gloves with Blair Riley. the decision was probably a draw, but good fight all around.
- With an assist tonight, Chris Bourque‘s point streak has reached eleven straight games!
- Holtby had a great game, stopping 34 of 36 shots and being a crucial part of stopping Bridgeport’s many power plays.
- Even though the Bears did not score on either of their power plays, the penalty kill unit was outstanding tonight, stopping eight of eight
- Finally, Happy 28th Birthday to Patrick Wellar!
Lines and Pairings:
Kane – Aucoin – Bourque
Micflikier – Potulny – Ford
Pope – Hanson – Mitchell
Lacroix – Carroll – Rechlicz
McNeill – Collins
Brouillette – Richmond
Wellar – Kundratek
Three stars of the game:
1. Keith Aucoin (HER)
2. Trevor Frischmon (BRI)
3. Braden Holtby (HER)
More photos from tonight’s game.