It’s no secret that these two teams don’t like each other. The games are always full of physicality and the scoring usually leads to a close game.
At first, it didn’t look like it was going to be too bad when it was just 1-0 after one period. The Checkers only needed 31 seconds to score. It was the first shot of the game.
The wheels started to fall off during the second period. You’ll find the theme of this game was penalties. Two of Charlotte’s five goals were scored on the power play. The Bears were whistled for so many penalties that they were never able to get their game going. Charlotte ran the tempo the entire time and the Bears didn’t stand a chance. Two goals in the second period, two goals in the third period. Bears lose 5-0.
Not surprisingly, there were two fights during the game. Brad Herauf was more than happy to oblige both Andrew Carroll and Ashton Rome for two separate fights. Neither fight was able to wake the Bears up enough to even start a comeback. But kudos to the new guy and Rome for attempting to change the winds in favor of the Bears.
Let’s hope the Braden Holtby starts looking himself soon because his league-leading save percentage certainly took a blow after these past two games. The impending addition of Dmitri Orlov is starting to look more and more important to the Bears.
- Today was the last time these two teams will meet during the regular season. The Bears split the series right down the middle 4-4.
- The Bears wore special jerseys tonight in honor of breast cancer awareness. The jerseys were white, with pink and brown stripes on the shoulders, sleeves, and socks. There were also breast cancer awareness ribbons on the knees of the socks. After the game, the jerseys were auctioned off to make some money for the American Cancer Society.
- Okay, let’s discuss the elephant in the room: the shutout. Mike Murphy was able to shut out the Bears at home for the first time since December of 2005; that was before the Bears were affiliated with the Capitals (s/t to John Walton for that fact). Unbelievable. I guess we’ve been spoiled.
- Two ref game, although you might be able to tell that from how many penalties were called tonight.
Lines and Pairings:
Kane – Aucoin – Pinizzotto
Greentree – Willsie – de Kastrozza
Lacroix – Beagle – Bouchard
Kugryshev – Carroll – Rechlicz
McNeill – Collins
Kroll – Miskovic
Wellar – Godfrey
Actual three stars of the game:
1. Bryan Rodney (CHA)
2. Mike Murphy (CHA)
3. Zac Dalpe (CHA)
Sweetest Hockey On Earth’s three stars of the game:
1. American Cancer Society: I can stand behind those ugly jerseys because of the money they earned for cancer research
2. Todd Ford: did a good job backing up and holding down the bench
3. Mathieu Perreault: had a goal and assist for the Caps today
More photos from Kyle M.